Stay Sane.

I'm not very good at knowing when to let go of what or whom.  I know that certain ideas and dreams and people are only around for what eventually will feel like a moment. But how do you know which ones are moments and which ones are meant to last past the moment? Because not everything can be temporary.  But not everything can be permanent.  And sometimes the circumstances determine what stays, what goes, and when. But how do we know? And who says what's good for us anyways? 
Logically., we can't have the same exact dreams we had in kindergarten.  I mean... I wanted to be a clown when I was 5.  Seriously.
And we can't stay friends with everyone we've ever met and cared about.  At least not constantly and consistently.  I've got daycare best friends.  Childhood best friends. Grade school. Junior high. High school. Church best friends.  Camp best friends.  College number one and college number two best friends. Home for the summer best friends. Home for good best friends.  And a few that overlap. And I'd say that's a good thing.  But no one is all of them.  Even the best of them.  At some point, though, some of your once best best friends will probably become some sort of acquaintance.  And that sounds like such a bummer, doesn't it? It makes me feel like I don't want to care or that I'm unable to. But the thing is, we are unable to.  It's not logical to take care of everyone who crosses our paths as deeply as we once did.  Everybody is an awful large amount of people to care about.  And I'm realizing that I'm really bad at letting myself off the hook on this one.  It doesn't make me a horrible person if I take care of my own sanity once in a while. And it doesn't make you a horrible person if you do either.
But what if you miss someone?  And is it still possible to care about somebody without being in their life everyday?  Every week? I've done my share of missing friendships I've had to let go of for whatever reason.  And it makes me pretty sad most of the time.  But then there's that whole thing about 'do you miss the person or do you miss the moments?'. And I suppose that's another conundrum for another day. But I think we've got daily friends, weekly friends, bi-weekly, monthly, yearly catch-up coffee date friends, 5 years ago ones.  Friends that we're still allowed to care about.  But I guess we've all gotta do what we've all gotta do.  But what I do know is that my daily and weekly friends are pretty grand.  And I'd be lost without them. 

And I'm sorry it seems that all I blog about is friendship lately. But hey. It is what it is.

Also.  I love this guy. 




Speaking of friends.  I get to see Brittney and Blakeley in two tiny days. Oh my. I can't wait. 

And just for fun, I'll leave you with a quote from J.F.K.
"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."

Comments

Popular Posts