'You've Got Mail'

I think one of my favorite movies has got to be "You've Got Mail." It kind of stuck out of no-where.  I guess it's just a classic.
First of all, it's got a lot of excellent quotes.  But it's also got some interesting things to think about.
Isn't in interesting how some people just aren't what they seem?  Maybe it's just that our judgement of people is just so strongly influenced by what setting we meet a person in or what mood we're in when we do.
My apologies if you haven't see 'You've Got Mail'.  But if you have, I'm guessing you're familiar with Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly.  You see, Joe and Kathleen hate each other.  Because of all the obvious reasons.  Circumstances just won't allow them to get along.  But on the interwebs., they're completely intrigued by each other and what they have to say.  Because the circumstances allow it.  Or maybe it's because the internet leaves us to fill in whatever blanks however we want., but that's a different story.  Anyways. It's just interesting. How you can see a person when you're open to it.
I've had this thought before about re-getting to know people that I used to know, but with the perspective that I have on everything now.  In different circumstances.  I wonder how many people from my more naive years I'd be close with if I met them today instead of when I did.  Because I'm so much more intrigued by people than I used to be.  Anyways. How's that for unorganized thought?

"Sometimes I wonder about my life.  I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small- and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it? Or because I haven't been brave?.." -Kathleen Kelly

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee.  Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat.. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappaccino!" -Joe Fox

"Do you ever feel like you've become the worst version of yourself? That a Pandora's box of all the secret, hateful parts - your arrogance, your spite, your condescension- has sprung open?" -Joe Fox


Now that I think of it., it'd be kind of fun to be Kathleen Kelly for a while.  

Comments

Popular Posts